(Jacob Hannibal Steele) – PL 13
Strength 14, Stamina 14, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Fighting 8, Intellect 2, Awareness 2, Presence 4
All-out Attack, Assessment, Benefit, Wealth (well-off), Benefit: Member of the Freedom League, Close Attack 4, Connected, Diehard, Equipment 1, Fast Grab, Fearless, Improved Critical 2: Unarmed, Improved Disarm, Improved Hold, Improved Initiative 2, Improved Trip, Power Attack, Skill Mastery: Insight, Skill Mastery: Perception, Takedown 2, Teamwork, Ultimate Effort: TGH Checks, Ultimate Effort: Will Checks, Well-informed
Athletics 2 (6), Expertise: Current Events 8 (10), Insight 10 (10), Investigation 2 (12), Persuasion 6 (8), Technology 4 (4), Vehicles 12 (+14)
Hands Like Tools: Feature 1
At a Glance: Senses 1 (Rapid: Visual 1)
Situational Awareness: Senses 1 (Danger Sense: Visual)
Immunity: Immunity 10 (Life Support)
Impervious Defense: Impervious Toughness 18
Protection: Protection 4 (+4 Toughness)
Regeneration: Regeneration 5 (Every 2 rounds)
Makeshift Handholds: Movement 1 (Wall-crawling 1: -1 speed rank; Limited: Limited to surfaces with material Toughness less than Strength modifier )
Powerful Senses: Senses 3 (Extended: Vision 1: x10, Extended: Auditory 1: x10, Low-light Vision)
Strength and Combat Tricks
Cracking the Whip: Line Area Affliction 13 (Alternate; 1st degree: Dazed, Vulnerable, 2nd degree: Prone, Stunned, DC 23; Alternate Resistance (Dodge), Line Area: 5 feet wide by 30 feet long, Extra Condition; Limited: Limited to targets on appropriate surface, Limited Degree)
Down-and-Dirty Brawler: Affliction 14 (Alternate; 1st degree: Dazed, 2nd degree: Stunned, 3rd degree: Incapacitated, Resisted by: Fortitude, DC 24)
Flurry of Blows: Damage 14 (Alternate; DC 29; Multiattack; Distracting)
Focused Strength: Speed 5 (Speed: 60 miles/hour, 900 feet/round)and Leaping 9 (Leap 0.5 miles at 250 miles/hour in 6 seconds)
Haymaker from Hell: Damage: Damage 14 (Linked; DC 29; Distracting) and Move Object: Move Object 14 (Linked; 400 tons; Distracting, Limited Direction: Back and away from haymaker)
Perfect Block: Immunity 30 (Alternate; Custom: Attacks targeting Parry 30; Concentration, Quirk: Not vs Surprise Attacks)
Unstoppable: Burrowing 7 (Alternate; Speed: 8 miles/hour, 120 feet/round; Penetrating 7)
Super Strength: Enhanced Strength 4 (+4 STR; Limited to Lifting)
Belt Pouches (2), Flashlight, Hi-Tech Bracer (Commlink, Computer, GPS Receiver), Multi-tool
Cracking the Whip: Line Area Affliction 13 (DC Dog/Fort/Will 23)
Haymaker from Hell: Damage: Damage 14, +12 (DC 29) and Move Object: Move Object 14, +2 (DC 24)
Down-and-Dirty Brawler: Affliction 14, +12 (DC Fort 24)
Flurry of Blows: Damage 14, +12 (DC 29)
Grab, +12 (DC Spec 24)
Throw, +8 (DC 29)
Unarmed, +12 (DC 29)
Extensive Rogues Gallery gathered over many years of solo adventuring combined with enemies made while a team members as well as those inherited from his father’s long-time list of enemies.
- The Bestiary – (Chimera, Behemoth, Manticore, Undine) Survivors of a secret government program for creating superhumans. Betrayed by handlers, notably unstable, and holding a major grudge against the U.S. government and citizens.
- Dreadnought – Mutant “tank” with crippled legs. He wears a cybernetic harness enabling him to walk and run at formidable speeds.
- Fenris The Hunter – Fenris Lokison, shapechanging demigod schemer.
- Firstborn and The Brethren — Last survivors of the ancient Empire of Thorns. Firstborn is a monstrous humanoid intent on wiping out humanity and reclaiming the Earth for his people. The Brethren are his mentally linked “siblings” who are all physically similar to him though thankfully not quite as powerful.
- Gamma, The Atom Smasher – Freedom City, pg 199
- Gilgamesh – Ancient immortal embittered by loss and perceived betrayal from his gods. Would-be world-conqueror.
- The Heirophant – Technomage of great power that acts as the harbinger and herald of Ex Machina, the Cosmic Clockwork Consciousness. He is protected in his duties by the mighty construct Cog.
- Ironheart – Sorcerous construct originally created as servant by evil sorcerer. Given sentience by mistake and rebelled from creator, only to put services out for hire. Hates humans and anything else he thinks has a real soul (something he lacks).
- The Magi – International criminal organization founded by Rex Mundi.
- Magog – Former leader of interdimensional invasion force. Exiled to Earth for his failures.
- Mean Machine – Deranged cyborg created by alien abductors for unknown purposes.
- Phalanx – Duplicating mutant brick that’s been causing heroes problems since the mid-1950s.
- Ragnarok— Agents of Freedom, pg 91
- Sorian Starkiller – Alien powerhouse-for-hire wanted in the jurisdictions of every star-faring race known to Earth.
- Superior-Freedom City, pg 220
Public ID combined with famous family and a heroic career spanning two decades.
Doing Good: Old-fashioned hero’s code and all that goes with it.
Quirk: Borderline Adrenaline Junkie
Relationships: Brother (Isaac) who is currently undercover as the villain “Savant,” Father (Doc Steel) who has been missing for two years at this point), and uncle (Alexander, formerly “Anthem”) involved in government black ops who sometimes uses Jake for his own purposes.
English (American Dialect)
Dodge 8, Parry 8, Fortitude 14, Toughness 18, Will 12
Abilities 96 + Powers 55 + Advantages 29 + Skills 39 (78 ranks) + Defenses 16 = 235
Some heroes are made and some heroes are born.
Jacob (“Jake”) Hannibal Steele benefits from both approaches. The son of long-time adventurer Dr. Ulysses Steele, better known to the world as Doc Steel, Jacob grew up surrounded by men and women with extraordinary abilities who lived extraordinary lives. From the time he was a child, his father instilled in him an unyielding sense of duty, the idea that the entire Steele family had been blessed beyond measure and that it was only right and proper that they repay the universe for those blessings by helping mankind whenever and however they could. Following his mother’s death, Jake was raised by the combined efforts of his father, his uncle Alex (Alexander Steele, the former WWII era hero Anthem), and ALGERNON, an AI of his father’s design.
Hardcore has never had anything even remotely resembling a normal life. Fundamentally, he does what he does because it’s the only thing he’s ever really known. He’s brave to a fault, and very serious when dealing with his responsibilities. However, when he doesn’t have to concern himself with the welfare of teammates or bystanders, or worry about collateral damage, he’s known for cutting loose with his abilities. Off-duty, he’s an adrenaline junkie (which is difficult to experience when you’re practically invulnerable) and loves driving fast cars and even faster planes. He’s notoriously uncomfortable in social situations where he has to deal almost exclusively with normal people, far preferring the company of those who understand “his world.” Thanks to his rather unique upbringing, he has no problem relating to or dealing with the most outré individuals or situations, and remains blasé under circumstances ranging from fending off alien invasions to fighting insane gods. This can be disconcerting to those falling apart around him.
Hardcore’s physical structure resembles closely that of his father. The performance of both his muscular and skeletal structures is enhanced beyond human capabilities by orders of magnitude. He possesses vast superhuman strength and resilience, has demonstrated a tolerance for environmental conditions that would kill a human being, and has no real physical need for food or sleep. Further, his metabolism has thus far shown no susceptibility to any toxin or pathogen he’s ever encountered. Thanks to long years of training, Jake has even learned how to resist many forms of psionic intrusion and compulsion.
When entering combat, Jake normally takes point, trusting in his natural resilience to give him a greater measure of safety than his comrades. The recipient of almost two decades of intense training under many experts, Hardcore is an exceptionally capable hand-to-hand combatant, demonstrating a level of skill and versatility matched by few of the lumbering juggernauts that normally target him in a fight. He will generally identify the most dangerous opponents on the field and then draw their attention to himself, away from his teammates or whatever bystanders remain in the area. Jake is an imaginative fighter, but has to carefully temper a tendency to showoff. He also trusts his associates to know their jobs and seldom resorts to overt direction unless circumstances demand it.
Hardcore is a large and massively built man. He has brown hair (worn longer than his father likes), and brown eyes. When on duty, he wears a utilitarian bodysuit, toughly constructed boots, and a brown, leather jacket that looks very much like a WWII-era aviator’s coat (a self-mending jacket given to him by his father).